Henkel Ireland Operations and Research Ltd.
Design and supply and commissioning of fume cupboard airflow management system.
- Replace fume cupboard individual fan systems with single extract fan (and accompanying standby fan) running as a constant pressure, variable air volume (VAV) system
- Provide control system to monitor and display fume cupboard extract volumes and face velocities
- Warn operator if fume cupboard extract in not operational
- Maintain laboratory room pressurisation profile whatever the fume cupboard operational condition by controlling the laboratory supply air and general extract air
- Design and provide make-up air handling unit, duty 8.5m3/s, to serve laboratories
- Limit number of operational fume cupboards at any one time to 14 (out of 30) and integrate with Building Management System (BMS) for feedback
|Number of fume cupboards:||30|
|Number of extract fans:||1|
|Number of laboratories:||6|
|Number of VAV dampers:||52 (30 fume hood, 11 supply air, 9 general extract and 2 constant volume)|
|Face velocity / air volume per hood:||Constant 0.5m/s velocity; extract volume 0.423m3/s (when fully open), dropping to approx. 0.04m3/s (when sash fully down)|
|Fume hood VAV damper material:||PVC|
Monitoring the face velocity of at the fume cupboard, the hood damper and accompanying control system quickly adjust to accommodate the sash opening and closing.
The system was retrofitted into Henkel’s existing fume hoods, replacing the existing analog and digital individual controls.
|Large laboratory with 10 fume cupboards||Laboratory with 6 fume cupboards|
|Service penthouse containing fume cupboard VAV dampers|